There is no “impossible”.

Posted on

Head down, hands balled into fists, face turning red.

It took close to thirty minutes but he would eventually make it across the room.

And back again.

Liam independently moved himself from one place to another.

In doing so he demolished my understanding of the terms effort, strength and determination. I am being completely honest when I say that I have no idea where he gets it from. Not from me for sure. I’ve never worked as hard for anything in my life as Liam works to take a walk with his Mama.

To say that I am proud is too common a phrase to use for what moments like this make me feel. This can’t be just pride. There’s got to be some better word for this, I just don’t know what it is.

He wasn’t supposed to do this. Although he wasn’t supposed to thrive, or grow, or eat, or breathe, or come home at all either. But he certainly wasn’t supposed to walk.

Good thing his lazy dad kept forgetting to tell him that.

I’ll talk to you later.

Note: The video was taken by Liam’s nurse who earned himself some big points with me by being quick with his camera so that I could see some good footage  before I even left work that day.

12 thoughts on “There is no “impossible”.

Grandmama said:
    May 26, 2012 at 8:13 am

HOORAH LIAM!!!!!!!!! You are an amazing boy. Keep up the great work. Love you,Grandmama

Meme said:
    May 26, 2012 at 8:58 am

This kiddo keeps excelling at the job the docs gave him when he came home from the NICU!

Lindsey White said:
    May 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

My heart swells every time I read a post from you or see Liam proving all the docs wrong! Hurray for all of you.

Kelly said:
    May 26, 2012 at 11:55 am

OOO.MMM.GGG.

Zoey's mom said:
    May 26, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Oh sweet Liam, you sure are something, aren’t you? The walking thing, literally makes me cry. Seeing that and knowing all too well what goes into that, the effort, the determination, well, this mommy, isn’t his mommy but I sure am proud of him. Really, really am.

Donna Conlogue said:
    May 27, 2012 at 8:39 am

Sswweeeeeet!

Kat Caldwell said:
    May 27, 2012 at 9:11 am

Thank you so much for sharing that video with us all, how amazing to see your beautiful boy achieve such fantastic heights!!

Go Liam!!!!

sherryd32148 said:
    May 27, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Eric…I think the word you’re looking for is miracle.

Sherry

paula said:
    May 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm

THIS VIDEO MADE ME CRY
    peace and the Love of Christ be with you all

Sue Tavares said:
    May 29, 2012 at 8:56 am

Amazing…totally inspiring. Liam you’re awesome!!

No Fun Mum (@EmiHowe) said:
    June 1, 2012 at 5:34 am

You know you were talking about not having worked so hard at anything? How about belief in your boy? That plays a big part in this milestone. I know it’ll feel instinctual to you as his desire to move, so maybe it is more of you than you think. You and your family are all kinds of awesome. Celebrate x

First Day of School 2012 « Pressure Support said:
    September 14, 2012 at 3:13 am

[...] at three years old and with the help of those therapists, taking his first steps, and then this, Liam, with the aid of a walker taking his first ever walk with his mom. I’m pretty sure that those two links should give you just a peek into how awesome school has [...]